Touching is a form of showing affection. When a mother holds her baby in her arms then the baby feels protected and safe. The sudden crying of a baby disappears when his or other consoles him or her with warm kisses. It is good to be affectionate towards your kids and to give them warm hugs. The acts of touching that include love and care are essential for a baby or growing kid.
We all know what a good and bad touch is . Children need to know about the good and bad touch as they are unaware about this. They need to learn what it feels like to be touched in a good manner. Kids interact with many people in their daily life and the interactions are required to be safe and secure. In today’s world protection is required to be given accurately. Kids should be given a safe environment to nurture them. Bad touch and good touch is needed to be taught as if ignored then it can lead to increasing risks of sexual abuse.
In this blog we will discuss the importance of teaching good touch and bad touch to kids. Role of parents is very essential and parents should need to teach their kids as they are the primary caregivers. Let us talk about the bad touch and good touch in detail in upcoming sections.
Good vs bad touch: How does it feel?
Good touch is a touch that is offered by parents and other family members of the kid. A place where a kid grows up and is nurtured is a place where a kid feels safe and secure. All the caregivers give proper treatment and a secure environment to the kid . A good touch includes-
- Picking up a kid in arms gently.
- Patting a kid gently for reward.
- Showing affection by hugging.
- Giving kisses gently.
- Making a child safe and secure.
All these things are good touch and the bad touch includes-
- Touching a kid in an insecure manner.
- Touching a kid inappropriately.
- Touching a kid in a way which makes the kid uncomfortable .
Gestures and the ways of touching can help in judging whether it was a good or bad touch. But kids are unaware of this and they need to be taught.
Why is it so essential to teach the difference between good and bad touch?
It is required to teach a kid about good and bad touch because of the following reasons that are shared as follows-
- By teaching them one can feel confident about their security. A child who knows what a bad and good touch is, can know when to ask for help in cases of urgency. If a kid is unaware of this then he or she can not help themselves.
- By teaching kids about good and bad touch one can save them from childhood trauma. Childhood trauma is something that can devastate the upcoming life stages of a kid and thus it is important to save them from any kind of abuse which leads to childhood trauma.
- By knowing what bad and good touch is, a kid can feel confident about their body and they can learn more about their privacy.
Thus it is important for a kid to know what is a good and bad touch at an early age. One should have an open and proper conversation.
How can kids know about good and bad touch?
One can teach their kids about good and bad touch in following manner-
- Parents should have an open discussion about good and bad touch with their kids. They should teach them the basic anatomy of body parts. By knowing the name and parts of their body they will learn about their private parts.
- One can teach them the swimming suit rule. In this they can tell that the parts that are covered in a swimming suit are the parts that are private and no one should be allowed to touch them instead of primary caregivers.
- Parents should tell their kids that kids need to yell for help in case they feel that someone is touching them badly. Make sure that you mention that not only strangers but their acquaintances are also not allowed to touch them badly.
Thus having an open and clear discussion will help in making them aware and will protect them from any kind of abuse. Parents, teachers should teach kids at an early age.
What is a childhood trauma and how can it impact?
Trauma is described as an incident that leads to feelings of fear, anxiety or helplessness. When a child faces trauma in the form of physical violence, growing up in a violent family, being sexuallly abused then it impacts the child in the long run.
Many cases of children being sexually abused at a younger age are reported. This abuse or trauma can lead to many developmental disorders and as an adult they feel it difficult to express or explore. Victims of childhood trauma feel that everything is a threat and they are helpless. Many psychological disorders can develop in the long run. Thus it is very important to take care of a child in his or her developmental age. It is the responsibility of caregivers to make sure that their kids get the best of the environment.
Stay active and explore with them. Make sure that they feel loved, affectionate. The development that takes place in the younger phase leads to the future personality of a child. When a kid shares an incident that made him or her uncomfortable then pay attention and take required actions in response to that. Let your kids know that you are there for them and they can come to you whenever any trouble comes to them.
Visit – Teenage Problems & Solutions